Oakland Church was born in 1881 when the small group of people who had been meeting as the Mt. Hope Sabbath School was officially organized into Oakland (for the grove of Oak trees) Methodist Episcopal Church, and a new building was constructed.
Bethany Church, which merged with Oakland in 1993, also began as a Sunday School in 1882 with construction on their new building in Bardane.
JoAnne Alexander began serving as pastor at Oakland in 1977 while a student at Wesley Seminary. She has recently moved into a new role as Director of Discipleship. Her husband, Kent Tice, joined Oakland as co-pastor in 1986, and they have been serving together ever since. The church began to grow in the 1980's and '90's and the congregation moved first to a local school, then, through a series of God-inspired circumstances, to a double-wide trailer.
In May 2018, Oakland Community Church left the United Methodist denomination and moved to our current location in Charles Town! We are a Wesleyan Church with contemporary worship and lots of opportunities for spiritual growth and service in the community.
Sign up to hear from us about specials, sales, and events.